Wednesday, May 7, 2008

estonia...

so, i'm sitting at home tonight channel surfing, and come across Deal or No Deal. But, this isn't just any old episode of Deal or No Deal... it is an episode filmed in Tallinn, Estonia. Estonia is probably a country none of you have heard of, but I got to spend 3 weeks there 3 summers ago doing sports ministry with Uncharted Waters. It brought back great memories just seeing the scenery there. Now, of course, it was all snowy and stuff there because it was filmed a month or so ago when it was still winter-ish...but I still remember! Tallinn is the capital of Estonia, in the north part. I just feel like remembering the fun times...

1. We went to Finland for the 4th of July. We took a boat over there for the day.. it was fun. One of my teammates kept yelling "happy fourth of july"... then she realized that it is just another day to estonians.
2. One of the Estonians on our team was an Estonian Army guy named Viktor Bubnov. He was hilarious. While we were teaching the kids soccer and basketball, he was teaching them self-defense.
3.I learned how to sing "I want to know You" in Estonian. I still have the words written down somewhere.
4. We went through Tartu for our first week of camp. Our second week we spent in a tiny, impoverished village. I can't remember the name of the town. We spent an afternoon in Parnu, the party beach town.
5. Our camps were held about 1/2 mile from the church. One time it started pouring rain and hailing. We had to run 1/2 mile back to the church with all of our equipment in the rain and hail. Our stuff was sitting out on the porch trying to dry forever.
6. They tried to serve us american food. It was fish pizza. thankfully there was some meat pizza left and i got it!
7. the kids were obsessed with making those bead things that you make and then iron so they stick together. i might still have some...somewhere.

oh, the memories...


My team and I leading UW songs in the Estonian church.


My team and I with Viktor, our Estonian


Coming back from Estonia with our matching t-shirts

No comments: